PKK commander warns Turkish interior minister over intensification in fighting

PKK Commander Amed Malazgirt/ photo by Firat News Agency

Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) commander Amed Malazgirt has warned Turkish interior minister Suleyman Soylu that clashes in 2017 are going to be much more intense than previous years, adding that everyone was going to see just how “PKK guerrillas really fight”.

Speaking to militants celebrating Kurdish new year, Newroz, in PKK camps near the Qandil mountain range, Malazgirt said, “that Soylu is talking everyday about how they have broken the will of the Kurds. This is not true. He, and all our enemies, will see just how PKK guerrillas really fight.”

“Turkish colonialism now wants to ban Newroz to Kurds and Kurdistan, they are doing everything they can to deny the existence of the Kurdish people. Especially the AKP government is trying to use all military capabilities it possesses to massacre the Kurdish people and get them to bow to its tyranny,” the commander added.

Malazgirt said that Turkish air bombardments throughout the winter months was a sign of desperation by the Turkish state, hoping to deal a blow to “Kurdistan’s guerrillas in their least mobile time”.

“But for us, Newroz is the arrival of spring. And the arrival of spring for the revolutionaries of Kurdistan signifies the arrival of resistance and revenge. Turkey’s interior minister, and all our enemies, will see how PKK guerrillas greet the spring!” PKK commander Malazgirt concluded.

Analysts had already stated that clashes between the PKK and the state were set to intensify this year as the optimism once prevalent during the peace process has now completely vanished.

Thousands of PKK convicts are on hunger strike for a return to the peace process. Turkish General Huluski Akar said on Saturday that “operations will continue until there is not a single terrorist left”.

The PKK has been engaged in a three decade insurgency against the Turkish government demanding autonomy for the country’s 15 million Kurdish population.

A two year ceasefire and negotiation process ended in July 2015 after President Erdogan refused to recognise the 10-article Dolmabahce agreement between the government and PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan.